Plans Go Awry

Co-written by: Myst and LJ

Special thanks to Dee for another great beta job.


“What do you mean; you want us to go to Winnipeg for Thanksgiving this year?” Stewart asked incredulously. “It’s barely two weeks away and we’ve already made plans to go to my parents’ house like we do every year. Plus, I have a lot of orders at the bakery that are due that week.”

“I know we usually go to your parents’, Stewart. But I got a call from my Aunt Thelma today and that supposedly mild heart attack my dad had a couple of days ago is more serious than I was lead to believe.”

“But your mom said everything was fine. She told us the doctors said your dad was going to be all right.” Stewart reminded his partner, a confused expression on his face. “What exactly did your aunt tell you? Did she say something else was wrong?”

“I was told by Mother that my father is doing as well as can be expected. Such a statement is rather ambiguous. Aunt Thelma is my dad’s older sister and she reminded me that heart problems run in the family. Mind you, she is a bit of a worrywart and may be predisposed to fret more than need be. On the other hand, my mother is the opposite in many respects and therefore inclined to downplay circumstances. And my two sisters are fluctuating between borderline panic and an almost apathetic tranquility. Unable to just give any of them the benefit of the doubt, I really feel the need to go and check on things myself in person.” Lucas carried on washing the dishes as he shared his concerns. They were cleaning up after the evening meal together and using the time to discuss their day.

Stewart was quiet for a moment as he continued drying the dishes. His thoughts were awhirl with feelings of regret over his outburst and his lack of support warring with his concern over cancelling all the orders at the bakery. “I’m sorry Lucas. I know your worried and with good cause,” he said, the sincerity clear in his voice. “I know my Mom and Dad will understand. But what do I tell my customers? I can’t even begin to tell you how many orders for rolls, cakes, pies and cookies I’ve taken for Thanksgiving week. It’s not like much of it can be made up in advance either. I can’t just tell them too bad, I took your order and promised to take care of things, but now I’m not going to. They’ll never give me another order and I’ll be out of business in a few weeks,” Stewart finished as the implications of what could happen began overwhelming him.

“Hold that thought, love, while I answer the phone.” Lucas returned a few minutes later with a smile on his face. “You’ll never guess, but that was Mom calling to let us know that the doctors think Dad may be able to go home in time for the long weekend. It seems he’s coming along even better than at first hoped for.”

“That’s great news,” Stewart replied sincerely. “I’m so glad. Looks like your aunt may have worried unnecessarily. So now what do you want to do about going out of town? Do you still want to go to Winnipeg over Thanksgiving? What if we went to see him the following week instead?” he suggested hopefully.

“I don’t feel able to make any definite plans just yet, Stewart. How about it if we just take things as they come? Maybe it will work out better for Dad to have more company after the holiday, rather than during it.” Lucas made a conscious effort to override the nagging doubt that kept trying to surface.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A week passed and that niggling feeling returned with a vengeance. Lucas was utterly unable to push it out of his mind. Although he willingly admitted there was no rational basis for his concern, he still felt the need to check on his father’s condition and see for himself that the older man was truly recovering.

“Stewart, will you join me in the study please. There is a matter we have to discuss,” Lucas called out from where he was sitting in front of his computer. As he waited patiently for his request to be filled, he rubbed at his temples in hopes of dispelling the pressure building up there. He realized the looming headache was a result of stress. He smiled when his partner showed up, straddled his lap and took over the massage. On one hand, Lucas fervently wished he didn’t have to be the bearer of the news that would definitely not be received in an agreeable manner; on the other, he reluctantly accepted it as inevitable.

“I’m afraid there are going to be some unwelcome changes to our Thanksgiving plans. I’ve come to a decision regarding a visit to my parents that I know you are not going to be too happy about. I am going to be spending some of the upcoming long weekend in Winnipeg with my family. I know I rarely respond to only a gut feeling, but this time I don’t seem to have a choice. I’m sorry, love, I cannot even give you a logical reason why.” Lucas sighed deeply, relishing the feel of his lover’s fingers rubbing soothingly over his head.

Stewart abruptly stopped the massage, a shocked expression on his face. “But why?” he demanded. “I thought we decided to wait until after Thanksgiving? We talked to your Mom just the other day. She said everything was fine and your dad was getting along better than expected.” He rushed on before Lucas could reply. “And what is this ‘I am going’? Are you planning on going by yourself and leaving me here?” Stewart got off of Lucas’ lap and began pacing. “I don’t care that you can’t give me a logical reason as to why you’re going. If you need to go, I’m going with you, we’re a couple. How would that look to your parents, you showing up without me? It would look like I don’t care.”

“Both my parents are in business, Stewart. They understand the need of it sometimes taking precedent over preference.” Lucas grabbed his Brat’s hand as soon as the opportunity presented itself and pulled the agitated young man back down to sit on his lap. “I was giving serious thought to leaving here Friday evening on the red-eye and returning by noon on Monday. That way I could have Thanksgiving Sunday with my family and still be here to enjoy your mom’s cooking the next day. Would that work out better for you? You’d be working most that time anyway.”

“That would work, I suppose,” Stewart answered reluctantly. “I still don’t like the idea of you going without me even if your parents will understand. But you’re right; I will be spending most of the time filling Thanksgiving orders. The truth is I don’t want to be here without you. We’ve never been apart before,” he murmured with a blush staining his cheeks as he buried his face in Lucas’ chest.

Lucas softly chuckled and embraced his partner, drawing him closer and kissing his head. “There’s always a first time, honey, for everything. Two days will fly by, just wait and see. You’ll be so busy; you probably won’t even have time to miss me, whereas I will be missing you very much.”

I know, but at night when I’m here alone I’ll be missing you just as much. I know you have to go but I still don’t want you to.” Stewart looked up at Lucas and softly requested, “You’ll call me as soon as you get there right? And talk to me every day?”

“Twice a day at least, I promise.” Lucas’ eyes shone with a fierce love and pride in his partner. “I’m so grateful for your support, sweetheart. I truly understand how hard it’s going to be, being apart over the long weekend.” The older man made a silent vow to make it up to his lover by showering him with a hefty dose of TLC in the days leading up to his departure.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Stewart put in a busy week and true to his promise, Lucas was there to help in any way he could. He made sure his Brat came home to a nice meal and some quality time together each evening.

On Thursday when Stewart was given the okay to work a little longer, he barely managed to drag himself into the house at eight PM. After a quick but satisfying supper, he was man-handled up the stairs and into a warm bath. This was followed by a body-melting massage and mind-blowing sex.

Friday before leaving for Kelowna, Lucas took his partner out for dinner at the Maple Grill. They were sitting across from each other and waiting patiently for their order to be filled, when Lucas reached over to stop Stewart from idly playing with his utensils. It was a common occurrence and caused both men to chuckle.

“I’d like you to have an early night, babe. I know for a fact that you’re already planning to be at the bakery long before sunrise. No point in you claiming otherwise. It’s that ‘while the cat’s away’ syndrome. Right?” Lucas’ eyes sparkled with amusement as he took in the look of surprise on his lover’s young face.

“Not the ‘cat’s away’ syndrome,” Stewart replied with a half-serious, half-shamefaced expression. “More like a ‘there’s so much to do before Thanksgiving’ syndrome. It feels like half the town will be in to pick up something from the bakery before I close tomorrow night. But I promise I will get to bed early tonight and I won’t go in until six tomorrow morning. I’m already missing you and will barely be able to wait for you to come home to me on Monday.”

“Not a minute before six, my lad. That is an hour earlier than usual to begin with.” Lucas’ voice was kind but firm. He expected to be obeyed. “Monday noon will be here soon enough, sweetheart.” He signaled for the bill as he pulled out his wallet. “I’m going to drop you off back at the house and then I better hit the road if I want to make it to the airport, put my car in weekend parking and get checked in without the added stress of rushing.”

Twenty minutes later, Lucas was kissing a pouting Brat goodbye. He drove out of the driveway with a final wave to the young man standing in the doorway of their home.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Stewart was true to his word and didn’t go to the bakery until six Saturday morning. Once there, he didn’t have time to wonder where Lucas was or what he was doing. From the time he turned the ‘Closed’ sign to ‘Open’, there was a steady flow of customers coming in to pick up their orders and wish him a Happy Thanksgiving. He was relieved when Joanie came in early to help with the constant stream of customers so he could put the finishing touches on the last of the specialty orders, a frosted pumpkin cake. He was exhausted when he closed the bakery doors at five-thirty, and couldn’t wait to get home and have a shower.

Saturday past in a bit of a haze for Lucas, but then three hours sleep had a tendency to do that to him. He spent the day visiting family, the majority of it at the hospital. He had to admit that his father looked rather hearty, considering all the man had been through, and Lucas began to wonder if maybe he had been worrying needlessly.

The second day proved to be one of the quietest he’d had in a long time. There were times when he found himself wishing he was back in the Okanagan Valley, taking part in the grape harvest with Stewart. Every year since getting together, they had taken pleasure in watching a procedure the winemakers called ‘punching down the cap’; the point of which was to draw maximum colour and flavour from the hardened grape skins. This was especially crucial for the rich Bordeaux-style blends such as the Black Hills Nota Bene, a rare red wine that in just ten years had become a trophy among local collectors, of which Lucas was one.

“I’ve missed you, but I am glad I made the trip. I’ve enjoyed spending this time with my family and seeing that all is well with them. Even though Dad wasn’t able to come home as hoped, it has certainly set my mind at ease.” Lucas spoke softly into the phone during the last of his long, twice-daily calls to his partner. “It’s late, but with the time change, I’ll be seeing you in just under twelve hours. I’m so glad neither of us has to work tomorrow. Tell your mom I’m looking forward to eating her delicious homemade pumpkin pie. Good night, sweetheart. I love you.”

“I’ve missed you too. Yesterday was so hectic and I was exhausted. But even being that tired, once I climbed in bed I couldn’t fall asleep. The house felt empty without you and the bed was too big,” Stewart replied. “Mom sends her love. She won’t let me help with anything, so I’ve spent the day taking it easy. I can’t wait to see you tomorrow. I love you; sleep well.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lucas paced back and forth in his father’s study, holding the phone to his ear. It was early in the morning and even earlier for the man he was waiting to answer. He hoped Stewart would wake up before the call went to the answering machine.

Several rings later, a sleepy voice was heard on the other end of the line. “Hello, Stewart Honey.” Lucas paused to make sure his partner was awake enough to understand him. “Something’s happened and I will not be able to get home today as planned. Stewart, are you still there?” Lucas asked into the silence that followed his announcement. “I’m sorry to be calling with such bad news, but……” Lucas’ words were cut off and he blinked at his Brat’s unexpected reaction.

Stewart was all but shouting in the phone. “What do you mean you won’t be coming home to me? We talked last night, you promised!” He continued his tirade, not leaving an opening for Lucas to respond. “Well fine! Take your time and enjoy yourself, but don’t expect me to hang around here waiting for you to decide to come home.” With that he slammed down the receiver and burst into tears. Ignoring the phone when it began ringing again, he quickly pulled on some clothes and left the house with no plan in mind as to where he would go.

Lucas stared at the phone in his hand, trying to come to grips with the fact that his Brat had just hung up on him. He immediately redialed, only to reach the answering machine. He left a terse message that he expected Stewart to call him back within half an hour, taking the time to explain that it concerned his father. He also requested that Stewart use his parents’ house or cell numbers, as his own cell phone was presently out of commission.

An hour later, Lucas had still not heard from Stewart and he was getting more annoyed by the moment. It was now almost eight-thirty in Winnipeg, but only six-thirty in Jade Heights. He waited another hour before he rang Stewart’s parents and requested they have Stewart call as soon as he got home this evening. Once again he explained that it concerned his father and that he was unable to use his cell. Now, all he could do was wait to hear from his partner.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

While walking home after dinner at his parents, Stewart thought about his call with Lucas this morning. His mother told him that Lucas had called her. She then told him he needed to talk to Lucas. When he asked what Lucas had said, all his mother would say is she suspected whatever it was he needed to tell Stewart first. He realized then he hadn’t given Lucas a chance to explain. He’d let his disappointment over Lucas’ first words dictate his reaction.

Stewart unlocked the front door and hurried to the phone. Quickly dialing, he was relieved to hear Lucas’s voice. “Lucas, I’m so sorry I hung up on you.” His embarrassment and concern were evident in his voice.

“Thank you for calling, Stewart. Although I accept your apology, we will still be discussing your discourtesy when I get home.” Lucas’ voice was quiet, but firm.

“I know. I was totally out of line.” Stewart knew he’d messed up big time, and didn’t want Lucas thinking he’d try to make an excuse for his rudeness. “Please tell me what happened.”

“All right. As for the reason behind me not making it home as originally planned, my father took a turn for the worse during the early morning hours and ended up having emergency surgery. Thank goodness he has come through the triple by-pass rather well, everything considered. We’ve spent a long day in the intensive care unit, wanting to be there in order to see my father as soon as the medical staff allowed it. Of course Dad is still out of it, but he was looking as good as can be expected and the doctor suggested we come back to the house for a few hours rest. Mom is worn out; I feeling rather done in myself.” Lucas suppressed a yawn. He was unaware of just how tired he sounded.

“I’m so sorry about your dad,” Stewart replied, his shock at the news apparent. “You sound exhausted. What do you need me to do? I can close the bakery and fly up there to be with you. Just tell me what you want me to do.” He was anxious to give Lucas his support and make up for his earlier outburst.

“Thank you, honey, just for understanding. There is nothing else I expect you to do. As much as I’d love to see you and hold you in my arms, your flying here would be a waste of time and money. I’ll be home in less than forty-eight hours.” Lucas brightened at the thought. “We have a lot to be thankful for. Dad is going to be just fine. In fact, he should be awake when we next see him tomorrow morning. I was thinking that you and I could both return in a couple of weeks to help Mom get him settled back here at the house. How does that sound to you? Think you’d be able to take a bit of time off?”

“That sounds good to me. I know you said your dad will be fine, but I think I’d like to see him for myself. Be sure to give him my love when you get a chance. As for the bakery, I haven’t taken any time off since I opened the business. I’ll need to think about the details, but I’m sure it can be worked out. Do you know what time you’ll be home on Thursday?”

“I plan to take the morning flight and should arrive back by noon. I’ll let you know for sure by Wednesday evening. Remember, you don’t have to pick me up as my car is still in the long-term parking at the Kelowna airport.” Lucas’ voice softened. “I miss you, sweetheart, and love you very much.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Fortunately for two men who were anxiously looking forward to being together again, the next couple of days flew by. It was five minutes before noon on Thursday when Lucas walked into the bakery, causing the little bell over the door to announce his arrival. He waited with a wide smile on his face for his Brat to look up from what he was doing and notice him standing there.

Stewart glanced up and ran around the counter to throw his arms around his partner. “Lucas, you’re home!” he exclaimed with a big grin on his face. Since there were no customers in the store at the moment, he gave the older man a kiss. “I’m so glad you’re back. I know we talked every day, but I still missed you so much. I can’t wait to spend real time with you.”

No sooner had the words left his mouth than a customer walked in. “Let me take care of this lady; then we can go to lunch and talk.”

Lucas stood aside and watched his partner work. He had always admired Stewart’s way with the public; friendly and easy-going, never letting his quiet demeanor hint at the stress he sometimes experienced.

A few minutes later, Stewart closed the door and turned the ‘Open’ sign to ‘Closed’. “There, I’m all yours for the next hour.”

The time was spent reconnecting. After a quick sandwich and cup of tea, Lucas propelled a very willing partner into the master bedroom. It only took seconds for the two them to strip down to their birthday suits. Within moments, they were lying on the bed with as much of their bodies pressed together as humanly possible and roughly exploring familiar territory.

Having the lube handy enabled Lucas to soon have Stewart prepared for his penetration. He rolled him onto his back, placed a pillow under the younger man’s butt and lifted Stewart’s legs unto his shoulders. Next, he lined himself up and steadily pushed into his lover’s warm body. Rocking back and forth, Lucas made sure to hit Stewart’s sweet spot every other time. In hardly any time at all, both were shouting out a mind-blowing climax.

Exactly one hour later, Stewart was walking into the bakery with a relaxed, sated smile on his face. Neither man had forgotten the issue of ‘how to speak to one’s partner’ that they’d wordlessly decided to leave on the back burner until this evening.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lucas had the table set and supper on the stove when Stewart walked in the front door that evening.

“Hmm, something smells good! Have you been working on it since I left?” Stewart sniffed the air appreciatively as he hung his jacket on the hook behind the door to the back porch He felt strong arms wrap around his waist and turned to bury his face into the crook of Lucas’ neck.

“I’m sorry for the way I talked to you when you called Monday.” His voice broke as he mumbled the apology. He was unable to put it off any longer. The guilt was becoming unbearable.

“I know, sweet pea.” Lucas pushed away slightly and gazed lovingly into his partner’s eyes. “We’ll discuss it after supper.”

“Noooo,” Stewart practically wailed and he once again hid his face against his Top’s broad shoulder. “Please, can’t we take care of it now? I really don’t think I can wait any longer. I know what I did wrong. I know I should have given you a chance to explain. I should never have yelled and hung up on you. I’m so sorry, Lucas; so very, very sorry.”

Easily picking up the distress in his Brat’s voice, Lucas decided to give in to Stewart’s plea. He knew just how difficult it had been for the young man to admit his mistakes as he was usually unable to do so. He also sensed Stewart was overwhelmed and close to his breaking point. To prolong the inevitable would be heartless and totally uncalled-for.

Taking Stewart’s hand in his, Lucas led him over to the kitchen table, pulled out a chair and took a seat. He heard a whimper escape when he unzipped his parnter’s fly and lowered the jeans along with the boxers. Not wanting to drag things out, he next settled him face down over his lap.

“I don’t see the need to list your misdeeds, as you did an excellent job of doing it yourself, Stewart.” Lucas rubbed a hand over the unblemished backside.

Placing one arm firmly across Stewart’s back and pulling him closer, Lucas swiftly delivered a lengthy onslaught of hard swats before flipping his Brat over and holding him in his arms. He murmured words of forgiveness and comfort while waiting patiently for the crying to subside.

Stewart twisted so he could rest on Lucas’ legs without putting pressure on his very sore backside. He snuggled in closer and uttered tearfully. “I’m so sorry, Luc.”

Lucas suspected his partner’s tears were in part caused by the spanking, but mostly by the feelings of remorse and shame that had followed his deplorable behaviour. He kept up the comforting sounds of reassurance, and the soothing caresses as the anxiety of the past few days was released and the last of the sobbing gradually dwindled to the occasional hitch or hiccup.

After a few more minutes of Lucas stroking his back, Stewart regained his composure. “All forgiven, right?” he asked.

“Always, sweetheart,” Lucas murmured into his Brat’s curly hair. Pulling a clean handkerchief from his pocket, he pressed it into Stewart’s hands. “Mop up and maybe we can enjoy our supper before it gets too cold.” A final squeeze and he set the younger man on his feet in order to get up himself.

Stewart dried his face and after rearranging his clothing, stuffed the now damp handkerchief into his jeans pocket. “I’m better; thanks. I think I’m able to eat now. Whatever you made still smells wonderful.”

As they got ready to eat, Stewart hesitantly inquired, “Would you mind if we made it an early night? I’ve had a hard time sleeping without you beside me. And,” he added with his quick grin. “Who knows, you just might get lucky.”

Lucas leered at the young man sitting across from him, for a couple of seconds before laughing loudly and winking. “Oh, I have every intention of ‘getting lucky’ tonight, Brat. You can count on it.”

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment